The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a bomb attack at a Shi'ite Houthi mosque in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa Friday that wounded at least 13 people, a security source said.
ISIS said it was behind the explosion in a Twitter post, Reuters reported. "If there was an explosion it has already happened in Sanaa in the people's district in a Houthi mosque. The Islamic State claims responsibility,” the group said in the post.
Two of the 13 injured victims were in critical condition, a security official in Sanaa said.
Meanwhile, camps and weapons depots belonging to Shiite rebels in Sanaa took another pounding from airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition Friday. Besides Sanaa, airstrikes also targeted the rebels, known as Houthis, in Saada, their northern heartland. The Houthis have carried out cross-border attacks from Saada, which borders Saudi Arabia.
Also Friday, a suicide bomber targeted a Shiite mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia, the Interior Ministry and residents said. The local Red Crescent authorities confirmed 19 people had been killed and 28 wounded in the province of Qatif after Friday prayers, Habib Mahmoud, managing editor for the state-linked Al-Sharq newspaper said.
It’s the second deadly attack against Shiites in the kingdom in six months. In November, ISIS was accused of being behind the shooting and killing of eight worshippers in the eastern Saudi Arabian village of al-Ahsa.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.