The mayor of Paris said Tuesday she plans to sue Fox News for its reporting, later retracted, that so-called “no-go zones” for non-Muslims and local authorities exist in the French capital and other European cities.
"When we're insulted, then I think we'll have to sue, I think we'll have to go to court, in order to have these words removed," Mayor Anne Hidalgo said in a television interview. Hildalgo repeated her intention to sue in later statements and tweets attributed to her office.
Fox News responded to the mayor’s remarks with a statement from Michael Clemente, Executive Vice President for News.
"We empathize with the citizens of France as they go through a healing process and return to everyday life. However, we find the mayor's comments regarding a lawsuit misplaced," the statement said.
In response to criticism last week over the “no-go zone” reports, Fox News on Saturday apologized for its incorrect reporting.
"Over the course of this last week we have made some regrettable errors on air regarding the Muslim population in Europe, particularly with regard to England and France,” Fox News anchor Julie Banderas said.
"To be clear, there is no formal designation of these zones in either country, and no credible information to support the assertion that there are specific areas in these countries that exclude individuals based solely on their religion."