Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

World

Israel charges 3 suspects in Palestinian teen 'revenge killing'

  • 708b87bd7811db1b590f6a7067006f1f.jpg

    July 14, 2014 - A Palestinian looks at a mosque following an overnight Israeli missile strike in Gaza City. (AP)

  • 0ad658c57812db1b590f6a706700269a.jpg

    Palestinian children look a mosque following an overnight Israeli missile strike in Gaza City Monday, July 14, 2014. The Israeli military said it downed a drone on Monday along the country's southern coastline, the first time it encountered an unmanned aircraft since the campaign against Gaza Strip militants began last week.(AP Photo/Khalil Hamra) (The Associated Press)

Israel charged three Jews Monday with the kidnapping and murder of a Palestinian teenager, whose death sparked days of violent protests in Arab areas of Jerusalem and northern Israel.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld says the three suspects -- a 29-year-old man and a pair of 17-year-olds -- appeared before a court Monday and admitted to abducting 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir.

Israel's Shin Bet security service on Monday released the findings of its investigation into Abu Khdeir’s murder. During the investigation, the three admitted to abducting Abu Khdeir and setting him on fire, according to the security agency. They also re-enacted the murder.

Shin Bet investigators said the suspects, whose names were not released, were motivated by revenge following the killing of three Israeli teenagers who were kidnapped and found dead in the West Bank on June 30.

Four others were being investigated and remained under house arrest for their involvement in the killing, it said.

Abu Khdeir was taken on July 2 near his home in east Jerusalem and his charred body was later found in a forest. An autopsy found that he was burned to death.

Israeli leaders widely condemned Abu Khdeir’s killing and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed those responsible would be brought to justice.

Israel has yet to capture the killers of the three Israel teenagers. It accuses Hamas and cracked down on the Islamic militants in the West Bank after the teens' abduction, contributing to an increase in rocket fire from Gaza that ultimately led to the current round of fighting.

On Monday, Egypt presented a cease-fire plan to end the week of heavy fighting that has left at least 185 people dead, according to The Associated Press.

The detention of the three main suspects in the case was extended until Friday as they appeared before a court, officials said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.