JAKARTA (AFP) – Manager Arsene Wenger refused to be drawn Friday on whether Arsenal would match Liverpool's reported asking price for striker Luis Suarez, after a 30 million-pound bid was said to have been rejected.
The Gunners boss declined to say if Arsenal were willing to stump up what is thought to be 40 million-pound ($60.7 million) bottom line for the controversial Uruguayan, but hinted that a deal may not be entirely dead.
"... We're hoping we will be in a position where we can answer this question," Wenger told reporters in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, ahead of a weekend friendly match.
He added: "As you know, the transfer period demands a certain air of confidentiality and of secret."
Arsenal had a multi-million pound offer rejected earlier this week, it was reported, and Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has stressed that the "world-class" player is not for sale.
Last month Suarez, who was banned for racist abuse in 2011 and is currently suspended for biting, admitted it would be difficult to turn down an offer from Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Arsenal, who have not won a trophy since 2005, are under pressure to spend big on players after posting huge profits last year -- earnings that prompted criticism from fans that the club lacked ambition.
The club have also been linked with Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney and Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain.
Suarez will miss the start of the new season as he is yet to complete a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
Arsenal will play Indonesia Dream Team in an exhibition match on Sunday. Indonesia has have more than a million Gunners' fans on Facebook.