A fast-moving fire roared through a crowded, windowless nightclub in southern Brazil early Sunday, filling the air in seconds with flames and a thick, toxic smoke that killed more than 230 panicked partygoers, many of whom were caught in a stampede to escape.
RIO DE JANEIRO – Last week's deadly nightclub fire in southern Brazil has claimed yet another life.
State health officials say a 22-year-old man injured in the blaze has died, raising the death toll to 237.
The Rio Grande do Sul Health Secretariat says Bruno Portella Fricks died late Saturday from injuries he sustained in last Sunday's blaze at the Kiss nightclub in the college town of Santa Maria.
In its statement Sunday, the health secretariat said 101 people injured in the fire remain hospitalized.
Most of those hospitalized were poisoned by inhaling cyanide, which, police said, was caused by flames burning the soundproofing foam in the discotheque ceiling.
To treat these patients, the United States government donated 140 doses of an intravenous medicine called Cyanokit, which acts as an antidote to cyanide.
The medicine was flown in Saturday to Santa Maria and the regional capital Porto Alegre, cities where most of the injured are hospitalized, and will be administered to patients in the coming hours.
Police say the fire likely started when a band set off flares, which ignited soundproofing foam on the ceiling. Police investigators have also said the club was lacking basic fire safety equipment, and a judge last week extended the temporary detentions of the club's owners and two band members by 30 days.
Based on reporting by the Associated Press & EFE.