Homicide

Lawyer: Louisiana gun case against millionaire Durst dropped; federal case there continues

FILE -In this Tuesday, April 14, 2015 file photo, Robert Durst leaves Federal Court in an Orleans Parish Sheriff's vehicle after his arraignment, in New Orleans. An attorney for jailed real estate heir Robert Durst says Thursday, April 23, 2015, state weapon charges have been dropped against the millionaire, clearing the way for federal proceedings in New Orleans on similar charges. Durst, who faces a murder charge in an unrelated California case, remains jailed without bond in Louisiana. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File)

FILE -In this Tuesday, April 14, 2015 file photo, Robert Durst leaves Federal Court in an Orleans Parish Sheriff's vehicle after his arraignment, in New Orleans. An attorney for jailed real estate heir Robert Durst says Thursday, April 23, 2015, state weapon charges have been dropped against the millionaire, clearing the way for federal proceedings in New Orleans on similar charges. Durst, who faces a murder charge in an unrelated California case, remains jailed without bond in Louisiana. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File)  (The Associated Press)

An attorney for jailed real estate heir Robert Durst says state weapon charges have been dropped against the millionaire, clearing the way for federal proceedings in New Orleans on similar charges.

Durst, who faces a murder charge in an unrelated California case, remains jailed without bond in Louisiana.

Lawyer Dick DeGuerin says state and federal prosecutors had been discussing the possibility of the state case being dropped. He says he was pleased with the decision and that there shouldn't be two prosecutions in state and federal court for the same crime.

Durst was arrested at a New Orleans hotel in March. Prosecutors say he had a gun and marijuana in his room.