Apple

Alabama man 'lucky to be alive' after freak iPhone charging accident

File photo - A Rose Gold iPhone 7 Plus with dual cameras is shown in Australian's flagship Apple store in Sydney, Sept. 16, 2016. (REUTERS/Jason Reed)

File photo - A Rose Gold iPhone 7 Plus with dual cameras is shown in Australian's flagship Apple store in Sydney, Sept. 16, 2016. (REUTERS/Jason Reed)

A Huntsville man who was charging his iPhone in his bed while he slept was nearly electrocuted in a freak accident.

WAAY 31 reports that Wiley Day was treated for second and third- degree burns on his neck and hands.

MAN, 32, REPORTEDLY DIES WHILE CHARGING IPHONE IN THE BATH

Day told WAAY 31 that, while he was sleeping his dog tag necklace slipped between the iPhone’s charger and extension cord, which had loosened. “My necklace became the conductor,” he told WAAY 31, adding that the force of the massive electric shock jolted him to the floor.

The 32-year-old was able to break the chain from his neck, according to the news report. Doctors told WAAY 31 that Day received about 110 volts, noting that 100 volts is enough to kill someone. "He is lucky to be alive," said Dr. Benjamin Fail.

27-YEAR-OLD ELECTROCUTED WHILE USING CELL PHONE

This is not the first accident involving a phone charger. Last year a man in the U.K. reportedly died of electrocution while charging his iPhone in the bath. In other incidents, a man in India was electrocuted while listening to music on his charging phone and a woman in Malaysia was electrocuted while speaking on her charging phone, according to news reports.

In 2013, the family of a woman in China claimed that she died of electrocution while trying answer a call on her iPhone while it was charging. The incident prompted Apple to launch an investigation.

FOR THE LATEST TECH FEATURES FOLLOW FOX NEWS TECH ON FACEBOOK

In 2013 CNN reported that, while smartphone incidents involving electric shocks and electrocution are rare, users should be careful when using substandard, incompatible, and counterfeit chargers.