RALEIGH – A case against seven North Carolina terrorism suspects accused of plotting "violent jihad" may involve classified material that will raise national security issues if given to their defense attorneys, federal prosecutors said Monday.
Prosecutors requested time to review the classified material and a hearing to discuss it, according to court documents. The government filed a motion under the Classified Information Procedures Act, which sets guidelines for the disclosure of sensitive information.
"The United States believes that disclosure of this material will raise issues of national security that the Court should address if such material is to be provided to the defense," prosecutors wrote.
Click here for photos.
Authorities have charged the men with plotting terrorist acts abroad.
The indictment alleges that Daniel Boyd, 39, bought guns and led a group of men who were planning to kidnap, kill and maim people in other countries. The indictment names six others, including two of Boyd's sons — Zakariya, 20, and Dylan, 22.
The men, who were arrested last week, are scheduled to appear in federal court Tuesday for a detention hearing.
Family members have said the accusations are unfounded.
Prosecutors haven't said whether the terror suspects had any specific timelines or targets, although the indictment said some of them went on trips over the past three years to Jordan, Kosovo, Pakistan and Israel "to engage in violent jihad." The indictment said the elder Boyd received terrorist training in Pakistan and Afghanistan two decades ago and, more recently, recruited followers in North Carolina.
Prosecutors said Boyd stopped attending the services of the more moderate mosques in the Raleigh area and began holding Friday prayers in his home. The indictment said he began stockpiling weapons and conducted military-style training at a rural site near the Virginia state line.
Investigators said they are still seeking an eighth man tied to the group, who is believed to be in Pakistan.