"Die Hard" director John McTiernan was charged Monday with making a false statement to the FBI about his knowledge of wiretapping by an indicted Hollywood private detective, authorities said.

McTiernan is accused of lying to federal investigators last month when he told them he had no knowledge of the wiretapping and had never discussed it with the private eye, according to a charging document provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Investigators contend McTiernan, 55, hired Anthony Pellicano to tap phone calls involving a man identified in the documents as Charles Roven. No other information about Roven was contained in the documents.

McTiernan, who also directed "The Thomas Crown Affair," could face a maximum sentence of five years in prison if convicted. A message left with his attorney, John Carlton, was not immediately returned.

Pellicano, who has worked for some of the biggest names in Hollywood, has been charged in a wiretapping scandal that has rattled entertainment and legal circles.

Prosecutors allege he wiretapped Hollywood stars he was hired to investigate, including Sylvester Stallone and others, and used the information for threats, blackmail and in some cases to help clients gain advantages in legal disputes. Pellicano has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

McTiernan is the 14th person charged in the case. Four others have pleaded guilty to a variety of charges, including wire fraud and conspiracy.