Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Wednesday he was taking himself out of the running to be Donald Trump’s vice presidential pick.

Corker had emerged in recent days as a contender but told The Washington Post he has withdrawn his name from consideration, saying he was better suited elsewhere.

“It’s a highly political job, and that’s not who I am. We had a very open conversation about that, and actually, we have been very candid about it from the very beginning of our meetings,” Corker told The Post.

“I left there feeling very good about him as a person but also realized that at age 63, I know the things I’m good at doing and knowing what a candidate for vice president has to do,” he said. “It’s just not the right thing for me, and I don’t think it’s the right thing for them.”

The Post reported that Corker had been under serious consideration by Trump and had submitted personal documents to the attorney managing the vetting process.

Trump is expected to announce his choice ahead of the Republican Convention in Cleveland later this month.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence are among the short list of candidates, according to campaign sources.

Trump spent part of his July 4th with Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst – fueling speculation that the freshman senator could be on the billionaire’s short list.

Fox News’ Kara Rowland and Christopher Snyder contributed to this report.