A relaxing beach day turned into a nightmare for a Russian family after their 2-year-old son was stung by a box jellyfish. The boy’s heart stopped as rescuers scrambled to revive him.

The boy, who was not named, was on Koh Sumui Island in southern Thailand with his mother, Yekaterina Ivanova, and swimming in shallow waters when he was stung, Central European News (CEN) reported. The boy lost consciousness and beachgoers helped him out of the water.

A beachgoer administered CPR to the little boy, who regained consciousness and was taken to the Bangkok-Samui hospital.

According to CEN, Ivanova, 29, was also stung by the deadly box jellyfish, but because her body mass was bigger, she was not as quickly affected by the venom.

More on this...

Ivanova and her son are in recovery at the hospital and said to be out of danger.

Since June 31, there have been 11 cases of tourists being stung by box jellyfish, so named for its cube-like shape.