It was an unforgettable prom night for one Massachusetts teen, and not because of the dancing and fun— she accidentally swallowed a boutonniere pin.

Kathleen Garvey, a senior at Wellesley High School, was having trouble pinning the flower on the jacket of her boyfriend, Colin Emerson, so she held the pin in her mouth. Emerson made her laugh with a joke and inhale the pin.

“I was scared the pin was there and I said, ‘Oh my god, did you swallow it?’ and she said, ‘I don’t know,’” Emerson told The Swellesley Report.

More on this...

Garvey didn’t feel any pain and thought the pin may have gotten lost, but went to the hospital as a precaution the next morning. An X-ray revealed the pin was sitting in her bronchial tubes but hadn’t done any real damage.

Doctors removed the pin in a 45-minute surgery. Garvey has a sore throat and shortness of breath, but she feels well otherwise, according to The Swellesley Report.