The four-month-old baby whose photo went viral when he dressed up like Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders— earning him the nickname “Bernie Baby,” has died from SIDS, his mother, Souxsie Lomas, announced on Facebook.
Oliver Jack Carter Lomas-Davis, born October 17, died on February 25, according to the family’s LifePosts page. Oliver went viral at a Las Vegas Bernie Sanders campaign stop February 14, where he was photographed being held by the presidential hopeful. Oliver wore a white wig in disarray, oversize black glasses, a short-sleeve button down shirt and a red plaid tie.
According to a GoFundMe page created to help cover the cost of the funeral and counseling for the family, Oliver will be laid to rest March 7 at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills.
In Loving Memory of Oliver Jack Carter Lomas— BernieSandersBrigade (@BSandersBrigade) February 28, 2016
You will always shine in our hearts! pic.twitter.com/MuMlzb56VX
SIDS, sudden infant death syndrome, is the sudden, unexplained death of an infant younger than one year old, according to the National Institutes of Health. It’s the leading cause of death in children between one month and one year old. The cause of SIDS isn’t known, but the NIH suggests the following to reduce the risk:
· Placing babies on their backs to sleep, even for short naps. "Tummy time" is for when babies are awake and someone is watching
· Using a firm sleep surface, such as a crib mattress covered with a fitted sheet
· Keeping soft objects and loose bedding away from sleep area
· Making sure babies don't get too hot. Keep the room at a comfortable temperature for an adult.
· Don't smoke during pregnancy or allow anyone to smoke near your baby