A 9-year-old girl in the United Kingdom suffered third-degree burns on her leg after the glittery case she used to protect her iPhone reportedly cracked and leaked onto her skin.

Karly Retter posted a photo of the cell phone case and her daughter Olivia’s leg on Facebook to serve as a warning to others.

Please share this as much as possible this case is full of acid and if it cracks it will cause 3rd-2nd degree burns this...

Posted by Karly Retter on Friday, January 8, 2016

“Doctors have said it is a severe chemical burn and she will be scarred for life,” Retter told The Telegraph. “I can’t believe it, she will have a scare in the shape of a phone on her leg.”

Retter told the news outlet that her daughter fell asleep with her phone next to her and woke up with a painful red burn.

According to a follow-up Facebook post from Retter, the phone case has been removed from stores.

Retter's post has been shared more than 42,000 times.

More on this...