This recipe for a pineapple julep comes from the most famous bartenders' and cocktail book of all time, Bon-Vivant's Companion by Jerry Thomas (1862). It was the first real cocktail book ever published in the United States. This julep recipe is a nostalgic and delicious homage to a drinking era that is long gone but not forgotten.
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1 Bottle sparkling Moselle wine
- 1/2 cup raspberry syrup
- 1 Pineapple
- Juice of 2 oranges (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 pound pure ice shaves
- Peel, slice and cup up a ripe pineapple into a glass bowl.
- Add the juice of two oranges, raspberry syrup, gin, sparkling Mosell, and pure ice in shaves and mix.
- Ornament with berries in season, and serve in flat glasses.