John Travolta has ended the case against two people accused of trying to extort him and his wife, Kelly Preston, following their son's death in the Bahamas, the Daily News reported Monday.
Judge declares mistrial in Travolta extortion case
Ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne and his attorney, Pleasant Bridgewater, were accused of seeking $25 million from the family in exchange for not releasing information about Jett's death. The original case was declared a mistrial last year after a local politician suggested that the still-deliberating jury had acquitted Bridgewater.
"The Travolta family has said that this matter has caused them unbelievable stress and pain and they wish to put this whole thing behind them," prosecutor Neil Braithwaite told the court Monday, as a retrial was about to begin. The court dismissed the charges.
See photos of John Travolta
"The long-pending status of this matter continued to take a heavy emotional toll on my family," Travolta said in a statement to The Associated Press. "Therefore, after much reflection I concluded that it was in my family's best interest for me not to voluntarily return to the Bahamas to testify a second time at trial."
Other Links From TVGuide.com