Print Print    Close Close

Costa Rica says Central American regional bloc to consider case of Cuban migrants next week

Published November 19, 2015

Associated Press

Costa Rican authorities say a Central American regional bloc will take up the issue of some 2,000 Cuban migrants who have been denied entry by Nicaragua, a case that has ramped up diplomatic tensions.

Costa Rican Foreign Minister Manuel Gonzalez says foreign ministers of the SICA bloc are expected to meet Monday in El Salvador and will consider the issue as a humanitarian rather than a security concern.

Gonzalez said Thursday that neighboring countries "have reacted in a positive and supportive way" to the idea of seeking a regional solution.

Nicaraguan soldiers forcefully pushed the Cubans back from the border earlier this week. The migrants say they do not want to stay in Central America but rather are trying to reach the United States.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/costa-rica-says-central-american-regional-bloc-to-consider-case-of-cuban-migrants-next-week

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ