By Tyler McCarthy, ,
Published June 26, 2018
Chris Hardwick’s former fiance is the latest to publicly defend him amid accusations of sexual assault. Jacinda Barrett posted a lengthy statement on social media in which she called for better due process for men accused of such things.
As TheWrap notes, Barrett, a former “Real World” cast member, and Hardwick dated in the 1990s while he was the host of MTV’s “Singled Out.” They were engaged but never married, and she’s now married to her “Suits” co-star Gabriel Macht.
“Imagine you are sitting in a courtroom. A person walks in and in their own words reads a statement accusing you of wrongdoing. The punishment for this crime is to lose your livelihood, legacy, reputation and to be publicly shamed,” she wrote in a message on Instagram. “Without examination of evidence, without due course the judge turns to everyone there and says what do you think? Guilty?”
In her caption to the post, the star continued: “This past week I have watched someone I once loved and shared four years of my life with be publicly accused of misconduct and abuse, then swiftly fired and shunned. The accuser’s story bears no resemblance to the one I shared with him all those years ago, but what is of supreme importance here is that every woman and every man deserves a voice. Accuser and Accused. Everyone deserves to be heard. A rush to judgement denies the right to due process; the Metoo movement deserves due process.”
As previously reported, the “Talking Dead” star was pulled from his AMC talk show and promotional appearances next month at the San Diego Comic-Con, where he was expected to be a part of several panels. The decision comes after Hardwick’s ex, Chloe Dykstra, shared a post on Medium detailing her experience with a man she does not name, but describes as Hardwick. In it, she outlines a pattern of abuse and makes accusations of sexual assault. Hardwick has denied the allegations.
“These are very serious allegations and not to be taken lightly which is why Ive taken the day to consider how to respond,” said Hardwick in a statement. “I was heartbroken to read Chloes post. Our three year relationship was not perfectwe were ultimately not a good match and arguedeven shouted at each otherbut I loved her, and did my best to uplift and support her as a partner and companion in any way and at no time did I sexually assault her.”
Barrett isn’t the first woman in Hardwick’s life to come forward in his defense. His current wife, Lydia Hearst, defended him in a similar statement on Instagram.
“I have made the decision to come out in support of my husband not out of obligation, but out of necessity to speak the truth about the person I know,” she said. “Chris is nothing but loving and compassionate and is the only person who has stood by me, never judged me, helped me heal, and feel whole,” she wrote.