AKRON, Ohio – The mother and grandmother of a teen who died from a heroin overdose at an Ohio hotel were indicted Tuesday on involuntary manslaughter charges.
Andrew Frye, 16, died from injecting heroin at a suburban Akron hotel in early April, prosecutors said. His mother, Heather Frye, and grandmother, Brenda Frye, both of Akron, and the mother's friend were in the room with him before he died, according to Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh.
Heather Frye, 31, also was charged with child endangering and tampering with evidence while Brenda Frye, 52, was charged with trafficking in heroin.
The mother's friend, 34-year-old Jessica Irons, of Stow, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, tampering with evidence, heroin possession and contributing to the unruliness of a child.
Court records don't list attorneys who could comment on behalf of the women and there were no telephone listings for them.
Prosecutors said the boy's grandmother got the heroin from her boyfriend. He's been charged with heroin possession.
Syringes, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia were found in the hotel room where Andrew Frye was found dead in a chair, authorities said.
Court records show Heather and Brenda Frye have a history of drug-related charges.