At least 145 sickened from apparent gas leak at Texas school

Authorities say at least 145 students and staff members at a Southeast Texas school received hospital treatment after an apparent carbon monoxide leak.

Beaumont emergency personnel say the children and adults from Marshall Middle School were being treated Thursday for injuries not believed to be life-threatening.

Officials at Baptist Beaumont Hospital, Christus Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth hospital and Victory Medical Center reported at least 109 patients from the school were treated for exposure to the toxic gas but none were admitted.

Beaumont Fire-Rescue officials say paramedics were called after a student lost consciousness. Numerous students and faculty reported symptoms including nausea and headaches.

Beaumont school district officials say the initial investigation shows there was a leak in a gas boiler.