CRIME

Connecticut home of Sandy Hook school shooter is demolished; property to remain open space

FILE - In this Dec. 18, 2012, file photo, a police cruiser sits in the driveway of the home of Nancy Lanza in Newtown, Conn., the Colonial-style house where she had lived with her son Adam Lanza. Newtown Legislative Council Chair Mary Ann Jacob said Tuesday, March 24, 2015, that the building was torn down on Monday. Nancy Lanza was killed there by her son before he forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012, in Newtown, where he killed 20 first-graders and six educators. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow, File)

FILE - In this Dec. 18, 2012, file photo, a police cruiser sits in the driveway of the home of Nancy Lanza in Newtown, Conn., the Colonial-style house where she had lived with her son Adam Lanza. Newtown Legislative Council Chair Mary Ann Jacob said Tuesday, March 24, 2015, that the building was torn down on Monday. Nancy Lanza was killed there by her son before he forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012, in Newtown, where he killed 20 first-graders and six educators. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow, File)  (The Associated Press)

The Connecticut home of the man who carried out the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary school has been demolished.

Several neighbors had asked that the 3,100-square-foot house be taken down, saying it was a constant reminder of the tragedy in Newtown.

Adam Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, inside the house on the morning of Dec. 14, 2012, then drove to the school where he gunned down 20 children and six adults before committing suicide.

His home was demolished Monday, and plans call for leaving the property as open space.

Newtown took ownership of the home last year when the deed was turned over at no cost to the town by the bank that held the mortgage.