Two employees were hurt and about 80 others evacuated from a battery research building after a lithium battery exploded at the General Motors Co. Technical Center in Warren.

Warren Fire Chief Dave Frederick says one of those injured Wednesday morning was taken to an area hospital, while the second person was treated at the scene.

Firefighters saw light smoke and extinguished a small fire that was confined to the room where the explosion occurred at the facility, north of Detroit.

A hazardous materials team was called in to monitor the air quality.

GM says in a statement that the explosion was in an Alternative Energy Center laboratory. The automaker says five workers were being evaluated by medical personnel.

The explosion is under investigation.

Please click here for more from MyFoxDetroit.com