RICHMOND, Va – Chesterfield County police say a 7-year-old elementary school student died of a severe allergic reaction after eating a peanut that had been given to her by another student on the playground.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Amarria Denise Johnson died of natural causes on Monday after going into cardiac arrest at Hopkins Road Elementary School.
Police said Amarria was given the peanut on the playground during a school recess break by another child who was unaware of her severe allergies. An aide in the school clinic was attempting to help the child when she stopped breathing.
Police said detectives consulted with the Chesterfield Commonwealth's Attorney Office and it was determined that no criminal negligence was committed by the child who shared the peanut, school personnel or Amarria's mother.