The mother of a young boy found dead on the side of a desolate road near the Maine-New Hampshire border reportedly has confessed to killing the boy, reported.

The woman, who the TV station identified as Julianne McCrery, reportedly told a Massachusetts state trooper that she killed her son and was contemplating killing herself, reported Wednesday evening , citing unnamed sources. could not independently confirm the report with police.

Earlier Wednesday, without identifying the woman, a Massachusetts State Police spokesman confirmed that a woman was being questioned by police, and she was moved late in the afternoon from the Concord Barracks to a nearby hospital for a mental evaluation.

The spokesman said the woman was in custody but not charged. However, he did refer further questions about the matter to the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, possibly indicating charges are pending.

At 10:12 a.m., state police received a tip about a navy blue Toyota Tacoma pickup truck, which led them to the woman. The public was aware that a similar truck was seen in the area the boy was found.

A Texas man has also called investigators after seeing a computer-generated photo of the boy, saying he is a longtime friend of the boy's mother. Christian von Atzigen said he recognized the boy as Camden Pierce Hughes, the son of Julianne McCrery, a woman with whom he and his wife have been friends for 15 years.

Investigators are still working to identify the boy, believed to be between between 4 and 6 years old.

The U.S. Navy's elite police unit joined the investigation after a witness reported seeing a Navy emblem on the license plate of a pickup truck that was spotted in the area.

Investigators from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service are going to military installations in the Northeast in hopes of being able to identify the boy, his body discovered Saturday beside a back road in South Berwick.

Investigators say the boy may have been placed on Dennett Road -- just off Route 4 -- at around 7:30 a.m. Saturday. The child, described as 3 feet 8 inches tall and weighing 45 pounds, likely died about two hours earlier, police said. Authorities have not yet released how the boy died. 

There is no missing person's report that matches the description of the child, authorities say, and a computer-generated photo of the boy has been released in hopes it will garner leads.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.