COMMACK, N.Y. – An 89-year-old Long Island woman has burned to death in her kitchen after her clothes caught fire while she was cooking.
Grace Spadoro's daughter-in-law says she heard the family dog barking at their Commack home Wednesday afternoon and went to check on what was going on.
Suffolk County police say Spadoro was engulfed in flames by the time her daughter-in-law found her.
Spadoro died at the scene. Her daughter-in-law suffered minor burns while trying to save her.
Police say they don't know what Spadoro was cooking or how she was doing it. They're investigating.