Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Thursday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- MIAMI - The Kushner family, with close White House ties, puts the brakes on its negotiations to buy the Miami Marlins because owner Jeffrey Loria reportedly may be nominated to become ambassador to France.
- KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Atlanta Braves wanted to add experience to their pitching staff - and did they ever. They now have 43-year-old Bartolo Colon and 42-year-old R.A. Dickey.
More from FoxSports
- Get ready for the perhaps the best subplot of All-Star Weekend in New Orleans: Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant are together again. Durant shook the NBA last summer by bolting Oklahoma City.
- NEW ORLEANS - Floats and street parties join hands with slam dunks and 3-pointers. The NBA All-Star Weekend and Mardi Gras will be going 1-on-1 in New Orleans.
- LOS ANGELES - Pebble Beach winner Jordan Spieth leads the strongest field of the year when the Genesis Open at Riviera begins. Tiger Woods pulled out of because of back problems.
- NEW YORK - The Rangers go for their seventh straight win when they face the rival Islanders. The Islanders have lost two of three and are looking to bounce back from a bad loss at Toronto. Game starts 7 p.m.
- Three men's college basketball games involving top 10 teams: No. 1 Gonzaga-San Francisco (9 p.m.); No. 5 Arizona-Washington State (9 p.m.); No. 7 Oregon-Utah (9 p.m.).
- HOCHFILZEN, Austria - One year after considering retirement, Lowell Bailey wins the 20-kilometer event to become the first American biathlete to win a world championships gold medal.
- ST. MORITZ, Switzerland - Tessa Worley holds off Mikaela Shiffrin to regain her giant slalom title at the world championships. Soffia Goggia of Italy takes the bronze.
- MOSCOW - Russian track and field athletes haven't been giving up their medals in Olympic doping cases, and officials vow to kick them off the national team until they do.
- MADRID - A Spanish judge charges three former players for the soccer club Real Betis with match-fixing three years ago.