Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin lashes out at ''discrimination'' against the country's banned track and field athletes at a Kremlin send-off ceremony for its depleted Olympic team.
- On the one hand, Brazil is thoroughly mixed. On the other, there is searing racial inequality in a place often portrayed as a ''racial democracy,'' or ''race-blind.'' The myth of a race-blind country has been losing force, but there's still a yawning gap between black and white. Diversity and inequality will line up side-by-side at the Olympics, just as they did at Brazil's World Cup two years ago.
More from FoxSports
- How does the mom of the world's fastest man, Usain Bolt, help him keep his cool? ''We say things that will make him laugh,'' Jennifer Bolt says as her sprinter star offspring faces down what just may be his last Olympics.
- NEWARK, Del. - The U.S Olympic women's basketball team plays France in an exhibition game at the University of Delaware. Game starts 7:30 p.m.
- TOKYO - While Rio Olympic organizers are under immense pressure to finish preparations before Aug. 5, their Tokyo counterparts are already facing skyrocketing costs for an event four years away.
- SPRINGFIELD, N.J. - Sergio Garcia is all grown up and still doesn't have a major to show for it. Even with a recent run of first-time major champions, the talented Spaniard has learned to accept that it might never happen to him. All he wants at the PGA Championship is a chance.
- SPRINGFIELD, N.J. - Where's the Beef? All around New York City, chowing down on burgers and pastrami, before heading to Baltusrol and signing autographs for hours. The whirlwind that has carried Andrew Johnston into the golfing limelight shows no signs of slowing down as he prepares for his first PGA Championship.
- SPRINGFIELD, N.J. - Jason Day has low expectations as the defending champion at the PGA Championship, some of that by design. Because of three straight tournaments and his need to keep his energy level high, he didn't see Baltusrol for the first time until the eve of the final major.
- CLEVELAND - Stephen Strasburg, beaten for the first time this season in his previous start, takes the mound as the Washington Nationals wrap up their interleague series against Carlos Carrasco and the Cleveland Indians. Game starts 12:10 p.m.
- ARLINGTON, Texas - Yu Darvish struck out 11 in his last game but is winless in his two starts since coming off the disabled list for the Texas Rangers. The right-hander is 1-8 in his 10 career starts against Oakland. Game starts 8:05 p.m.
- SPARTANBTURG, S.C. - The NFC champion Carolina Panthers are plenty optimistic about their chances of returning to the Super Bowl as they report to training camp, but are also aware there is plenty of work to be done.
- Other team stories from training camp.