Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel has been indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge for allegedly striking his ex-girlfriend, a Dallas TV station reported Sunday night.
Prosecutors are set to make a formal announcement on Tuesday, Manziel's attorney Robert Hinton told The Associated Press. A Dallas County grand jury heard evidence in the case Thursday, and the Dallas Morning News had reported that a decision not to charge Manziel, known as a "no bill" would be announced that day. No such announcement was made.
Colleen Crowley accused Manziel, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2012 while at Texas A&M, of assaulting her in late January. She claimed that at one point he hit her so hard that her eardrum burst. Crowley acquired a protective order in February that requires Manziel to avoid contact with her for two years and stay at least 500 feet away from Crowley's home and workplace.
The grand jury was empaneled to hear the case against Maziel at the request of Dallas police. Typically, grand juries in Dallas County only hear felony cases.
Manziel was released in March after playing parts of two seasons for the Browns. He went 2-6 as a starter, throwing seven touchdowns and seven interceptions.
Last week, Manziel was dropped by high-powered agent Drew Rosenhaus after he was photographed partying at the Coachella music festival in Southern California. It is believed to be the first time Rosenhaus has fired a client in 27 years as a sports agent.
Nike also confirmed last week it had cut ties with Manziel.
In February, Manziel's first agent, Erik Burkhardt, said he severed his ties with the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner so Manziel could get help.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.