CLEVELAND (AP) Turns out, Kyrie Irving didn't have a flu bug. He had bed bugs.
Following Monday's loss to Detroit, the Cavaliers star guard said he left Sunday's nationally televised game against the Thunder because he was shaken up after being bitten in his hotel room and not sleeping.
''As you can see I got it at the top of my head, it's just like bed bugs and I didn't get any sleep,'' Irving said, showing reporters evidence of his encounter with the little critters. ''We came into the game, then I was freaked out, then I started feeling nauseous.''
More from FoxSports
The Cavaliers stayed in the Skirvin Hilton in Oklahoma City on Saturday night.
When Irving left Sunday's game after nine minutes, the team said he was dealing with flu-like symptoms. However, he said that was a cover-up to help him deal with being tired after sleeping for just three hours.
''Just imagine how freaked out you'd be if you saw friggin' five, big bed bugs just sitting on your pillow,'' he said. ''I woke up itching and I'm just looking around and I'm like, `Are you serious right now? It was 3 a.m. and I was so tired at that point.''
Despite playing most of the game without Irving, the Cavs beat the Thunder 115-92.
Irving said he felt better Monday, when he scored a team-high 30 points in Cleveland's 96-88 loss to the Pistons. He said his teammates didn't have to tangle with the unwelcomed visitors in his hotel.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) - Jose Bautista sees no reason for a lot of back and forth about his contract.
The Toronto slugger said Monday he has let the Blue Jays know what it would take to keep him, and is waiting for an answer. Bautista is entering the final year of his deal. The 35-year-old outfielder is coming off a 40-homer season in which he helped Toronto to an AL East title and its first postseason appearance since 1993.
''I don't think there should be any negotiations. I think I've proved myself, and the question has been asked - what will it take - and I've given them an answer,'' Bautista said. ''I'm not going to sit here and try to bargain for a couple dollars.''
Wearing a shirt that said ''HOME IS TORONTO,'' Bautista spoke to reporters for about 15 minutes after the Blue Jays held their first official workout for pitchers and catchers. It was fitting that Bautista's comments made the biggest news of the day. Toronto is still a team built around its offense after Bautista, Josh Donaldson, Edwin Encarnacion and Troy Tulowitzki powered the Blue Jays to the AL Championship Series last year.
Bautista and Encarnacion are in the final year of their contracts. Bautista said he let the team know a couple weeks ago what kind of deal he wanted, and that his agent has been involved in the process.
''I'm not trying to sound like it was adamant and I put down the law and I drew lines in the sand,'' Bautista said. ''They asked me a question and I gave them an answer.''
NEW YORK (AP) - Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber hopes the winner of Friday's election for FIFA president institutes sweeping change.
''I feel very strongly that this is a moment of truth for our sport,'' he said Monday. ''I hope, really, truly hope, that the leaders of the sport can come together and pick a president that could represent a new FIFA for all of us and not somebody that will just be a new name, but represent some of the old ways of doing business.''
Garber is among the U.S. delegates attending the FIFA Congress in Zurich on Friday. Sheik Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa of Bahrain and Gianni Infantino of Switzerland - the No. 2 official of Europe's governing body - are viewed as the leading candidates. Prince Ali Al Hussein of Jordan, Jerome Champagne of France and Tokyo Sexwale of South Africa also are running.
Sepp Blatter announced in June, just four days after he was elected to a fifth term as president, that he planned to resign, a decision that followed the first round of indictments against soccer officials by American prosecutors.
Blatter was suspended by FIFA in October and given an eight-year ban in December for conflicts of interest, loyalty and general rules of conduct violations, a penalty he is appealing.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - The San Jose Sharks acquired defenseman Roman Polak and forward Nick Spaling from the Toronto Maple Leafs to add veteran depth to help boost the team on a possible playoff run.
The Sharks gave up 2017 and 2018 second-round picks and forward Raffi Torres in the deal they hope fills any holes before next week's trade deadline. After missing the playoffs for the first time since 2003 last season, San Jose entered Monday in third place in the Pacific Division and in striking distance of California rivals Los Angeles and Anaheim for the top spot.
''We wanted to give this group the ability to compete and they deserve it. They have really worked hard,'' general manager Doug Wilson said. ''We've put ourselves in a really good position and you make the determination on this team now with these added ingredients. It feels like they can compete. That's important in the room.''
Polak and Spaling both can become unrestricted free agents after the season but Wilson believes they add needed ingredients to his roster.
Polak is a physical defenseman who has spent most of his career in the Western Conference. He had one goal and 12 assists in 55 games with Toronto this season but is a capable penalty killer and could replace rookie Dylan DeMelo on San Jose's third pair.