Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Mets await Tuesday night's start of the World Series against the Royals bolstered by four hard-throwing pitchers - Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard and Steven Matz.
- KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Commissioner Rob Manfred gives his state of the game talk and is expected to discuss fan safety and the lack of black managers.
More from FoxSports
- The NBA season opens Tuesday, with plenty of Western Conference teams looking capable of winning it all. In the East, this might be the Cleveland Cavaliers' time.
- OAKLAND, Calif. - The Golden State Warriors raise their championship banner Tuesday night. Steve Kerr will be there for the fanfare but won't be coaching because of his ailing back.
- GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Cardinals play the a Baltimore Ravens team ( 1-5) trying to end a run of close losses. Arizona is looking to stay two games up in the NFC West. Game starts 8:30 p.m.
- GLASGOW, Scotland - The U.S. men get a chance to qualify for the world gymnastics finals. The top eight qualifiers earn a spot in the finals and an automatic berth in the 2016 Olympics.
- LEXINGTON, Ky. - American Pharoah and Beholder are assigned post positions for this week's $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic. Classic and Distaff draws at 6 p.m.
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Cam Newton does not to carry the load in Carolina's running game anymore. Jonathan Stewart has stepped up the last two games for the unbeaten Panthers.
- IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys are not only on a four-game losing streak but dealing with fallout from a sideline shoving match between defensive end Greg Hardy and the special teams coach.
- CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Miami joins a list of prominent college football teams already needing new coaches in 2016. The Hurricanes fired Al Golden on Sunday, one day after its most embarrassing defeat.
- STILLWATER, Okla. - Two days after a car plowed into the Oklahoma State homecoming parade, killing four people and injuring dozens more, the No. 12 Cowboys do what they can to help the community heal.
- Utah was knocked from the list of major unbeatens with its loss to Southern California. The defeat also drew plenty of gloating from those who felt the Utes did not deserve to be ranked so high.
- DURHAM, N.C. - It doesn't seem fair to label this Duke team as a defending national champion. With only four players back from that team, most of these Blue Devils had nothing to do with the last title.
- LOUISVILLE, Ky. - As if coaching a roster full of underclassmen isn't challenging enough, coach Rick Pitino must do so with a sex scandal shadowing Louisville basketball.
- SINGAPORE - Garbine Muguruza, a Wimbledon finalist this year, makes a strong debut in the WTA Finals by beating Lucie Safarova. Also, Angelique Kerber tops Petra Kvitova in the season-ending tournament.