Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- ZURICH - Sepp Blatter is facing criminal proceedings for possible mismanagement of FIFA money. His office was searched and data seized. The president of soccer's governing body is interrogated by Swiss police.
- NEW YORK - Commissioner Rob Manfred meets with Pete Rose on his application for reinstatement and promises a decision by the end of December. Rose, baseball's hits leader, agreed in 1989 to a lifetime ban.
More from FoxSports
- CHICAGO - The Cubs can clinch their first postseason berth in seven years with a win over the playoff-bound Pirates or a loss by the Giants. Game starts 2:20 p.m.
- HOUSTON - The first-place Rangers can all but put away the Astros in the AL West this weekend. Houston trails Texas by 3 1/2 games. Game starts 8:10 p.m.
- BUFFALO, N.Y. - The prosecutor overseeing the sexual assault investigation of Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane says the accuser's mother lied about finding an evidence bag in her doorway.
- ATLANTA - Henrik Stenson has a two-shot lead going into the second round of the Tour Championship. The Swede is among five players who can take the $10 million FedEx Cup prize with a victory.
- LOUDON, N.H. - One week after Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick skirmished after a race, they head to New Hampshire for Round 2 of the Chase.
- GREENBURGH, N.Y. - Phil Jackson doubts this is Kobe Bryant's final season - though thinks it may be Bryant's last in Los Angeles. Bryant is going into the last season of his contract.
- MINNEAPOLIS - Ricky Rubio finds himself in the middle of buzz about a possible trade. Timberwolves general manager Milt Newton, however, tells the AP that Rubio isn't going anywhere.
- FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The New York Jets are 2-0 and a large reason for the strong start is their sudden penchant for causing turnovers.
- PHILADELPHIA - Sam Bradford's impressive preseason means nothing now. The Eagles are 0-2 and fans are pointing at the quarterback.
- CORVALLIS, Ore. - No. 21 Stanford, with quarterback Kevin Hogan ailing with an ankle injury, plays Oregon State. Hogan's availability is likely a game-time decision. Game starts 10 p.m.
- TUCSON, Ariz. - Coach Jim Mora has spent the past three years rebuilding UCLA's depth. The banged-up No. 9 Bruins will have to rely on some of that depth Saturday against No. 16 Arizona.
- BERLIN - Wladimir Klitschko pulls out of next month's heavyweight title defense against Britain's Tyson Fury because of a torn calf tendon. The bout had been set for Oct. 24 in Duesseldorf, Germany.
- BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Deontay Wilder defends his heavyweight title in his home state of Alabama, taking on France's Johann Duhaupas on Saturday night on prime-time TV.
- ZURICH - The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will start Nov. 21, with the 28-day tournament finishing Dec. 18 - the country's national holiday.
- RICHMOND, Va. - The U.S. women were heavily favored at the world championships, only to come up empty in the time trial. On Saturday, they get another chance when the seven-rider team starts the road race.