UPDATES with information on Brady, Goodell, judge meeting; adds planned PGA Championship story
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- NEW YORK - A federal judge told Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at a hearing that he had not decided who would prevail in their fight over deflated footballs at the AFC championship game. SENT: 450 words, photos. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos, as warranted. With real-time updates in The Latest.
More from FoxSports
- Reports of dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria in Rio de Janeiro's waters have raised - and renewed - fears that athletes are at risk of getting sick at next summer's Olympics. Americans Kalyn Robinson and Chip Peterson can't help but wonder if a potential lifetime of health problems all goes back to the open water races they swam in the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio. SENT: 1,200 words, photos. With sidebars.
- NFL training camps are in full swing. Just ask Jets quarterback Geno Smith. There's never a shortage of desperation, heat or short tempers this time of year, and that leads to plenty of fisticuffs, on and off the field. By Steve Reed. SENT: 700 words, photos. With Training camp scuffles glance.
- FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Ryan Fitzpatrick is an NFL starter again, but not exactly how he - or anyone else - envisioned. He assumed the starting role after Jets quarterback Geno Smith was lost for at least 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw after being punched by a teammate. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos by 4 p.m.
- SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy have separated themselves as the best in golf. Now they get to face off in the final major of the year. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 5 p.m.
- The NBA releases its 2015-16 schedule, which will again be highlighted by its Christmas and Martin Luther King Jr. Day matchups. UPCOMING: 500 words. Release about 6:15 p.m.
- TORONTO - Troy Tulowitzki and the Toronto Blue Jays seek their 10th consecutive victory when they host the Oakland Athletics. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos. Starts 7:07 p.m.
- CLEVELAND - CC Sabahtia returns to a mound he knows well as the New York Yankees play the Indians and end a four-game losing streak. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos. Starts 7:10 p.m.
- CHICAGO - The Cubs try to make it 12 wins in 13 games when they send out Jason Hammel against the Brewers. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos. Starts 8:05 p.m.
- CHICAGO - Baseball owners begin two days of meetings in Chicago. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos by 7 p.m.
- Big 12 Preview: TCU coach Gary Patterson and Baylor's Art Briles know a nearly sure-fire way for their teams and league to avoid being left out of the college football playoffs again - depend on no one. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos.
- Leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee meet in Denver to discuss what to do next regarding their potential bid for the 2024 Games. Developing from 6:15 p.m. conference call.
- INDIANAPOLIS - Simone Biles is making the impossible look easy. The reigning two-time world champion hasn't lost a gymnastics meet in two years, a streak she'll try to extend this week at the U.S. Nationals. UPCOMING: 700 words by 7 p.m.
- CHICAGO - Opening statements are set for a civil trial looking at the market value of Michael Jordan's identity. SENT: 130 words, photos. UPCOMING: 130 words, more on merits. Proceedings began 12 p.m.