The Pittsburgh Pirates are close to an agreement with free-agent first baseman Lyle Overbay, multiple major league sources told FOXSports.com on Tuesday.
Overbay, who turns 34 in January, batted .243 with 20 home runs and 67 RBI in 154 games with the Toronto Blue Jays in 2010.
Overbay is a better defender than Garrett Jones, the Pirates' everyday first baseman for much of the 2010 season. If Overbay signs with Pittsburgh, then Jones would likely move into a corner outfield mix that includes Jose Tabata, Matt Diaz and possibly Ryan Doumit.
FOXSports.com senior MLB writer Ken Rosenthal contributed to this report.
- Related Links
- With Bynum back, Lakers' expectations grow
- Lakers drop Wizards as Bynum returns
- Presented By:
- Heat or Three-peat page
- Emmert won't duck Newton backlash
- Vikings-Bears moved
- No nerve damage for Favre
- Lakers deal Vujacic for frontcourt help
- Reaction to Lakers' three-team trade
- Somber Rangers sound off on Cliff Lee's departure
- Video: Muschamp introduced