Are you ready to surprise your loved ones with this delicious dessert recipe? Brownie and dulce de leche is the perfect combination for this Valentine's day. Enjoy!
• ½ cup butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs, room temperature
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 3 ounces dulce de leche or cajeta + more for drizzling (International foods aisle)
• Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
• Dulce de Leche ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and grease with butter.
2. In a large saucepan melt butter completely (ok to microwave in a bowl). Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
3. Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. Pour and spread batter into prepared pan.
5. Drop dollops of dulce de leche into nine sections of batter.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Let cool slightly. Lift brownie in foil and place on a cutting board. Cut into 9 even pieces.
8. Place on serving dishes and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
9. Add a scoop of dulce de leche ice cream.
10. Microwave dulce de leche for 20 seconds and drizzle over brownies and ice cream.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.