Looking for a new way to beat stress and slim down? Watch the video above and let fitness expert Healther Culton show you a warm-up routine that you can do before any exercise regimen. It’s also great to do on its own if you just want a little boost of energy!
For a full description of these workouts, read below.
Stretch #11. Start in a sitting position with your right foot in front of the left, making sure that you don’t cross your feet. Sit up as tall as you can and pull the abdominals in.
2. Place your right hand behind you with your palm to the floor and your fingers facing away. (Note: If you can’t reach the floor, place a book underneath your palm.)
3. Take your left hand (with your palm facing outward) and hook it to the outside of the right knee.
4. Inhale deeply. As you exhale, twist your body, looking over your right shoulder.
5. Repeat five times. Each time you inhale, stretch the spine, exhale and twist a little bit more.
6. Unravel yourself, keeping the left palm where it is. Bring the right hand on top of the left with your shoulders relaxed and your elbows lifted.
7. Put some pressure on your right leg and sit up as tall as you can. Move your left shoulder toward your left knee, twisting your body. (Note: Everyone is different; go as far as you can until you feel the stretch in the hip flexor and up along the right side of the body.)
8. When you’ve gone as far as you can, lift your right arm up to the ceiling, turn your head to the floor and reach your right arm overhead.
9. Take another deep breath. As you exhale, come back up to the sitting position.
10. Repeat the exercise on the left side, bringing the left leg forward and twisting to the left.
Stretch #21. Start in the same sitting position, with your right foot in front of the left, making sure that you don’t cross your feet.
2. Gently reach to the floor on either side of you with your fingertips.
3. Walk your right fingers to your sides as far as you can. (Note: Your elbow may come down to the floor, depending on your flexibility.)
4. Bring the left arm up over your head and look underneath that arm towards the ceiling until you feel the stretch up the left side of the body.
5. Pull the belly button into the spine. Drop the head forward and down towards the right knee until you feel a stretch down the left side of the back.
6. Open back up towards the ceiling and repeat the downward movement.
7. Sweep over to the left side and repeat the stretch.
Click here to check out Heather's website.