Print Print    Close Close

Libya's deputy prime minister says deadly Benghazi explosion last week was an accident

Published January 13, 2015

Associated Press

Libya's deputy prime minister says an investigation has indicated that a deadly explosion in Benghazi last week was an accident and not an attack.

Awd el-Buraasi told reporters in Tripoli Sunday that military officials do not believe that the blast in a busy area of Benghazi was planned. Three people were killed in the incident.

Benghazi, where Libya's 2011 revolution that ousted Moammar Gadhafi began, has suffered a series of assassinations and attacks on security and diplomatic missions over the past year, including the attack on the U.S. Consulate that killed the ambassador and three others.

El-Buraasi says a special command center has been set up there to oversee security. Notably absent from the operation are militias that provide security in the absence of a strong military or police force.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/libyas-deputy-prime-minister-says-deadly-benghazi-explosion-last-week-was-an-accident

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ