Print Print    Close Close

Amnesty International: 5 Possible mass graves in Burundi

Published January 29, 2016

Associated Press

Amnesty International says new satellite images, video footage and witness accounts show that dozens of people killed by Burundian security forces in December were later buried in mass graves.

The rights group reported Friday there were five possible mass graves in the Buringa area, on the outskirts of the capital Bujumbura.

The group said: "The imagery, dating from late December and early January, shows disturbed earth consistent with witness accounts. Witnesses told Amnesty International that the graves were dug on the afternoon of Dec. 11, in the immediate aftermath of the bloodiest day of Burundi's escalating crisis."

Earlier this month, the U.N. rights chief also called for an urgent investigation into the alleged existence of mass graves.

Burundi's government dismissed the allegations, saying they were based on false information.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/amnesty-international-5-possible-mass-graves-in-burundi

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ