Print Print    Close Close

1 dead after major typhoon sweeps through Taiwan

Published September 15, 2016

Associated Press

One person is dead in Taiwan after a typhoon roiled the island and parts of southeastern China, in what Chinese and Taiwanese weather authorities labeled the strongest storm so far this year.

Taiwan's Central News Agency said Thursday that 44 people were also injured as a result of Typhoon Meranti. The agency said the typhoon knocked out power in almost 1 million homes and water in more than 700,000.

Chinese authorities reported no deaths due to the storm, which hit southern Fujian province early Thursday. The official Xinhua News Agency said the storm shattered windows on tall buildings and disrupted water lines.

China's national meteorological center downgraded Meranti to a tropical storm Thursday afternoon and said it expected the storm to fade as it moves north.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/1-dead-after-major-typhoon-sweeps-through-taiwan

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ