Print Print    Close Close

Officials investigating fire near Dakota Access protest camp

Published October 30, 2016

Associated Press

Authorities are investigating an overnight fire that may have burned hundreds of acres near a Dakota Access pipeline protest camp in North Dakota.

Morton County sheriff's spokeswoman Donnell Preskey says the fire was reported early Sunday but quickly extinguished.

Preskey says the fire burned on private property, but declined to say where. She says a county commissioner estimated the fire burned about 400 acres.

Preskey says the cause is being investigated and no arrests have been made. She says two National Guard helicopters were sent to fight the blaze.

Protesters were evicted last week from property owned by the company building the pipeline. A company spokeswoman didn't immediately return a message seeking comment Sunday.

Demonstrators have been camping for months in an effort to block the nearly 1,200-mile, four-state pipeline.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/us/officials-investigating-fire-near-dakota-access-protest-camp

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ