Print Print    Close Close

National Guard deployment extended

Published January 08, 2015

Associated Press

The Obama Administration is extending a one year, 1,200 troop deployment on the border set to expire June 30 by at least three months, after lawmakers in Arizona and Texas pressed for better security.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matthew Chandler says the president is asking Congress to reprogram $30 million to keep the National Guard in place at least through September.

Anticipating the end of their deployment, some units had already started moving out, said Matthew Benson, a spokesman for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who has repeatedly asked the Administration for more law enforcement along the border. Now it appears those soldiers will be moving back.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/us/national-guard-deployment-extended

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ