Published January 14, 2015
- Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in late January 2008
- Swayze has been undergoing chemotherapy and other treatments at the Stanford University Medical Center.
- Swayze was born on Aug. 18, 1952, in Houston, TX.
- His father, Jesse Wayne, had been a champion rodeo cowboy
- His mother, "Patsy" Yvonne Swayze, was a dancer and choreographer who owned the Houston Jazz and Ballet Company.
- Swayze and his wife, Lisa Niemi, have been married since 1976
- They met while she was a dance student of his mother's
- Began career as dancer, touring as Prince Charming in "Disney on Parade"
- Performed as skater at Galleria Ice Skating Pavilion in Houston
- Studied at the Harkness and Joffrey Ballet Companies
- Was hired as the principal dancer at the Eliot Feld Ballet Company
- erformed briefly as a principal dancer with the Feld Ballet; left because of aggravated knee injury from high school football
- Swayze attended San Jacinto College and was a member of the gymnastics team
- Swayze played the lead role of Danny Zuko in "Grease" on Broadway
- Swayze made his feature film debut in "Skatetown U.S.A."
- Swayze was a surfing and skydiving bank robber in 1991's Point Break
- Swayze played a drag queen in 1995's "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar"
- Swayze was in 1990's "Ghost" opposite Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg
- Swayze recorded "She's Like the Wind" for the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack in 1988
- Named People magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1991