Print Print    Close Close

Federer survives scare, Nadal through in Qatar

Published January 08, 2015

Reuters

DOHA (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer had to play three sets to reach the Qatar Open semi-finals on Thursday, while number two Rafael Nadal had an easier ride when his opponent retired injured to put him in the last four.

Swiss Federer survived a scare from 21-year-old Latvian Ernests Gulbis before winning 6-2 4-6 6-4 to progress to the next round where he will face Russian third seed Nikolay Davydenko who beat big-serving Croat Ivo Karlovic 7-6 7-6.

"I'm happy to have come through a tough outing. It was pretty hard toward the end. It looked more like Gulbis gave up rather than me earning the victory," Federer told a news conference.

"It's pretty cold out there. That affected my game to some extent and, at times, I just couldn't get going."

Nadal stayed on course for a showdown with the Swiss in the final when Belgium's Steve Darcis retired with an injured back when the Spaniard was leading 6-1 2-0 in their quarter-final.

Nadal will next play Serbia's Viktor Troicki who overcame Poland's Lukasz Kubot 4-6 6-4 7-6.

"This wasn't the way I wanted to reach the semi-finals. I feel sorry for Darcis and wish him a speedy recovery. I hope he plays in the Australian Open (January 18-31). When you know you aren't well, it's better to stop," said Nadal.

The Spaniard, however, was happy to be in the semi-finals without dropping a set and said he was back to his best after being plagued by knee and stomach injuries during 2009.

"When I was out of action, I was watching a lot of videos of top players to stay tuned to the game. I'm now ready to win as many tournaments as possible," he said.

"Last month, I had a shoulder problem, but I believe I'm back to my best. I may not serve as fast as Roger (Federer) or Robin (Soderling), but if I can serve between 190 and 200 kph, that'll be fine."

(Editing by Sonia Oxley)

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/federer-survives-scare-nadal-through-in-qatar

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ