Published November 20, 2014
A three-year-old boy had his eye accidentally glued shut by a doctor at a hospital in Northern Ireland.
Sam Caldwell was taken to Ulster Hospital, near Belfast, after he sustained a cut above his right eye, the Belfast Telegraph reported on the weekend.
Doctors told his mother Kerri the best way to close the wound was to use medical glue.
"After about 20 minutes the doctor told Sam to open his eyes, but he couldn't," she said. "His right eye was completely glued shut. She had put too much on his lid and it had slid around his eye."
She added, "No one came near us. Sam was getting more and more upset, crying and screaming, but no one in the hospital came back to us."
Another doctor later told the alarmed parent that the glue would take at least four days to wear off, saying the little boy would "get used to it."
"The whole experience has left both Sam and I very upset. He is scared to open his other eye. I am annoyed that this happened, he went in with a minor cut and came out with a glued eye," Kerri Caldwell said.
A hospital spokesperson said, "Unfortunately, it is a well-recognized complication that the glue can leak before it dries. In most cases lukewarm water will loosen the eyelashes, but otherwise this will occur naturally within one to three days."