Punishing floods and grueling rain in Canada have forced as many as 1,520 people to leave their homes, officials said Monday.
Water levels around Quebec may not start to dip until Wednesday, Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux warned. Some 2,426 homes in the eastern Canadian province flooded, CTV Montreal reported.
"The good news is that we're expecting the maximum levels to be reached between today and Wednesday," Coiteux said.
A state of emergency was declared in Montreal after three dikes gave way in the Pierrefonds-Roxboro borough. Pierrefonds-Roxboro is located in the northern end of Montreal near the Rivieres des Prairies.
Approximately 800 additional soldiers were deployed in Quebec on Sunday, the Canadian military said in a release. They were joining more than 400 troops already assisting with the flood effort in the province.
The small town of Rigaud, located west of Montreal, issued a mandatory evacuation order and a state of emergency had been in place for several days.
Evacuation was mandatory in some areas and firefighters were going door to door to make sure people left their homes, according to Rigaud mayor Hans Gruenwald Jr.
The situation in Ontario, which also saw flooding, seems to be "generally stabilizing," though there are many unstable local circumstances, said Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.