BUDAPEST, Hungary – Hungarian authorities said they have detained a man suspected of setting off a homemade fragmentation bomb which seriously injured two policemen last month in Budapest.
Chief prosecutor Imre Keresztes said Thursday that the suspect is Hungarian and was caught in the southern the city of Keszthely. He was believed to have acted alone.
Keresztes said there were indications the suspect was planning further attacks and that the investigation would continue. He added that the suspect did not make a statement and had appealed his detention.
Officials did not mention a possible motive for the attack but said it was clear the injured officers had been targeted.
The officers injured in the Sept. 24 attack on a busy Budapest avenue were released from hospital care this week.