Europe

The Latest: Kremlin: Russia retains hope for Syria solution

FILE -- In this Jan. 13, 2016 file photo, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem addresses a press conference in New Delhi, India. Al-Moallem is on a four-day official visit to India. An internationally-brokered cease-fire for Syria is still viable, al-Moallem said in a TV interview broadcast Monday, Sept. 26, 2016 and President Bashar Assad’s administration is prepared to take part in a unity government. The interview on Mayadeen TV came as a second group of rebel gunmen and their families began evacuating the opposition neighborhood of al-Waer neighborhood in Homs, in central Syria this month. (AP Photo/Saurabh Das, File)

FILE -- In this Jan. 13, 2016 file photo, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem addresses a press conference in New Delhi, India. Al-Moallem is on a four-day official visit to India. An internationally-brokered cease-fire for Syria is still viable, al-Moallem said in a TV interview broadcast Monday, Sept. 26, 2016 and President Bashar Assad’s administration is prepared to take part in a unity government. The interview on Mayadeen TV came as a second group of rebel gunmen and their families began evacuating the opposition neighborhood of al-Waer neighborhood in Homs, in central Syria this month. (AP Photo/Saurabh Das, File)  (The Associated Press)

The Latest on the conflict in Syria (all times local):

1:30 p.m.

The spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin says the troubled cease-fire in Syria is ineffective, but that Moscow is not losing hope for a political solution to the country's crisis.

However, Dmitry Peskov told reporters Monday that the Kremlin is concerned that "terrorists are using the cease-fire regime to regroup, to replenish their arsenals and for obvious preparations to carry out attacks."

Peskov also took issue with harsh criticism by the United States and Great Britain over Russia's actions in Syria.

He said Russia considers the tone of the criticism unacceptable and "such rhetoric is capable of causing serious harm to the resolution process" in Syria.

___

12:15 p.m.

Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem says a U.S.-Russia-brokered cease-fire agreement is still viable and says his administration is prepared to take part in a unity government.

In an interview broadcast on the Mayadeen TV channel Monday, al-Moallem accused the U.S., Britain, and France of convening a U.N. Security Council meeting a day earlier in order to support "terrorists" inside Syria. But he said ongoing communications between U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov meant a truce agreement brokered two weeks ago is "not dead."

Syria's military declared the cease-fire ended one week ago.

Al-Moallem reaffirmed his government's proposed roadmap to end Syria's war, saying Damascus would support a referendum on a new constitution followed by parliamentary elections and the formation of a unity government.