Divers search for body of missing crew member after deadly NY tugboat crash

Police divers searched the cold waters of New York’s Hudson River Tuesday for the body of the third missing crew member involved in a deadly tugboat collision with a barge over the weekend.

As police divers inspect the site where the boat sank, near the Tappan Zee Bridge, a commercial maritime salvage company will also start trying to raise the boat, CBS New York reports.

NYPD’s Special Operations Division released an underwater sonar image Tuesday of the tugboat.

The collision Saturday left two crew members dead. The body of a third man who's presumed dead -- Harry Hernandez of Staten Island -- has yet to be recovered, and his remains were thought to be in a part of the sunken tugboat that divers have not been able to access, The Associated Press reports.

The autopsies of two men killed -- Timothy Conklin, of Westbury, N.Y., and Paul Amon, of Bayville, N.J. -- showed they died from drowning, authorities said Monday. On Sunday, divers recovered their bodies.

"They searched everywhere they could reach," said Westchester County Police spokesman Kieran O'Leary.

The 90-foot tugboat named Specialist hit a construction barge Saturday where workers are building the new Tappan Zee Bridge. The heavily damaged vessel now has to be raised. O'Leary said commercial divers went into the water on Monday to assess conditions and to start coming up with a plan on how to raise the tugboat.

Authorities said three tugboats were pushing a barge from Albany to Jersey City, N.J., when one of the three — situated on the right side as it headed south — hit a stationary barge that was part of the Tappan Zee Bridge construction project. A tugboat on the left side of the barge that was being pushed, as well as one that was pushing the barge from the rear, were not involved in the accident.

O'Leary said investigators still were conducting interviews and trying to piece together exactly what happened.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.