World

Fire at popular nightclub in Cambodia's capital kills 5 women

  • A pair of shoes lie in front of the nightclub Key Club after a fire in Chak Angre Krom village on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015. A large fire that apparently started in the sound mixing room engulfed the popular nightclub Monday night, an official said. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

    A pair of shoes lie in front of the nightclub Key Club after a fire in Chak Angre Krom village on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015. A large fire that apparently started in the sound mixing room engulfed the popular nightclub Monday night, an official said. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)  (The Associated Press)

  • A boy sitting on top of a truck looks at the nightclub Key Club where a fire occurred, in Chak Angre Krom village on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015. A large fire that apparently started in the sound mixing room engulfed the popular nightclub Monday night, an official said. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)

    A boy sitting on top of a truck looks at the nightclub Key Club where a fire occurred, in Chak Angre Krom village on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015. A large fire that apparently started in the sound mixing room engulfed the popular nightclub Monday night, an official said. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)  (The Associated Press)

A large fire engulfed a popular nightclub in the Cambodian capital, killing at least five women who were trapped in one of the rooms, an official said Tuesday. Two men were critically injured.

The fire apparently started in the sound mixing room about two hours before the Key Club nightclub was to open at 10 p.m. Monday evening, said Col. Neth Vantha, chief of the Phnom Penh fire department.

He said two of the women worked at the club and the three others were employed by a local drinking water company and had come to arrange an office party. They were aged 17 to 28 and died of smoke inhalation, he said. The two men were badly injured, Neth Vantha said.

He said a preliminary investigation indicated the fire probably started in the sound mixing and control room, presumably from an electrical short circuit. It took 23 fire trucks about three hours to put out the fire, he said.

He said the same nightclub burned down in 2013, killing three people including the owner's wife.