World

Ex-prelate hospitalized ahead of the opening of trial on sex abuse, porn charges at Vatican

  • FILE - This March 15, 2013 file photo shows Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, papal nuncio for the Dominican Republic, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. A Vatican official says that a former papal diplomat charged with the sexual abuse of boys was hospitalized and put in intensive care ahead of the opening of his trial at the Vatican. The trial against Jozef Wesolowski had been scheduled to open on Saturday, July 11, 2015 in a Vatican courtroom. Now the judge is expected to immediately adjourn to a later date. (AP Photo/Manuel Diaz, File)

    FILE - This March 15, 2013 file photo shows Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, papal nuncio for the Dominican Republic, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. A Vatican official says that a former papal diplomat charged with the sexual abuse of boys was hospitalized and put in intensive care ahead of the opening of his trial at the Vatican. The trial against Jozef Wesolowski had been scheduled to open on Saturday, July 11, 2015 in a Vatican courtroom. Now the judge is expected to immediately adjourn to a later date. (AP Photo/Manuel Diaz, File)  (The Associated Press)

  • A view of the courtroom during an hearing of the trial against former papal diplomat Jozef Wesolowski, at the Vatican, Saturday, July 11, 2015. A former papal diplomat charged with the sexual abuse of boys was hospitalized and put in intensive care ahead of the opening Saturday of his trial, Vatican officials said. The trial against Jozef Wesolowski, who faces charges of abusing shoeshine boys in the Dominican Republic and with possessing child pornography, had been scheduled to open Saturday morning in a Vatican courtroom. The judge was expected to adjourn to a later date. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)

    A view of the courtroom during an hearing of the trial against former papal diplomat Jozef Wesolowski, at the Vatican, Saturday, July 11, 2015. A former papal diplomat charged with the sexual abuse of boys was hospitalized and put in intensive care ahead of the opening Saturday of his trial, Vatican officials said. The trial against Jozef Wesolowski, who faces charges of abusing shoeshine boys in the Dominican Republic and with possessing child pornography, had been scheduled to open Saturday morning in a Vatican courtroom. The judge was expected to adjourn to a later date. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)  (The Associated Press)

A Vatican official says that a former papal diplomat charged with the sexual abuse of boys was hospitalized and put in intensive care ahead of the opening of his trial at the Vatican.

The trial against Jozef Wesolowski had been scheduled to open on Saturday in a Vatican courtroom. Now the judge is expected to immediately adjourn to a later date.

There were no details available immediately about Wesolowski's medical condition.

Wesolowski, 66, faces charges that he sexually abused shoeshine boys in the Dominican Republic and possessed child pornography.

His trial was seen as a high-profile way for Pope Francis with to make good on pledges to punish high-ranking churchmen involved in sex abuse of minors, either by molesting children or by systematically covering up for priests who did.