An Israeli newspaper says Israel has decided to open talks with the International Criminal Court over its preliminary investigation into Israel's military operation in the Gaza Strip last year.

The Haaretz daily reported the decision Thursday — a reversal for Israel, which has refused to cooperate with the ICC.

The court is conducting a preliminary investigation to determine whether to open a full-fledged war crimes probe. More than 2,200 Palestinians, including over 1,400 civilians, were killed last year, according to U.N. figures. On the Israel side, 73 died.

Haaretz also quoted an anonymous official as saying Israel will not cooperate with the court. Instead, it will relay its position that the court has no authority over the matter.

Israel's Foreign Ministry says Haaretz's report is true but declined to elaborate.